Thursday, September 17, 2009

Completed adoption phase in Hangzhou

From dennis:  Today we completed the adoption phase that we needed to finish in order to take Chloe out of the city of Hangzhou. We received 3 documents after paying 4,000 more Yuan (roughly 590 U.S. dollars) at the Public Notary Office.  We now have official certificates for Chloe's birth, abandonment, and our adoption of her. 

We have learned to value air conditioning highly.  It is a high humidity percentage here with the temperature around 90 degrees today.  Most public offices we have been to keep the doors open to the street and do not run air conditioning very much.  So, next time we are in the U.S. and waiting at a doctor's office it will not be a big deal at all sitting in the A/C in a smoke-free building without bus exhaust blowing into the windows and doors.  Our hotel room is air conditioned so we are very well set when we are not out doing paperwork or eating, or seeing the town.

If I ever find myself wanting to complain about Dallas traffic or heat, all i will need to remember are these busy, crowded cities in China.  I am now more thankful for the clean air and environment we have in at least the majority of Dallas.

Changing subjects, at breakfast this morning at our hotel, i noticed there were 2 different kinds of milk.  Probably regular cow's milk, tastes the same as in U.S. - at least to me.  Then another pitcher had a slightly darker milk and it was Soybean milk.  Curiosity got the best of me and i got 1/4 of a glass.  I sat down and considered letting Chloe drink some; but we decided we didn't want to experiment and possibly get her sick if she'd never had it.  So, I drank it and discovered a new favorite for me.  Taken quite by surprise at how good it tasted, I'm going to talk to some locals here to see if we can negotiate shipping costs to the U.S. so I can set up a soybean milk stand outside my house and make additional income.  Or I'll investigate making it here in the states and try to undersell everyone else!  :)  Nice to dream anyway ...

No comments:

Post a Comment